I didn't get any photos of DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) Graduation because the lighting is terrible at the school and the majority of the photos I take in there turn out awful. But, I do have a great story to share about the graduation just the same.
James' least favorite subject in school is anytime he has to write a story or report. Writing has never been his "thing." I suspect this is because he is a bit of a perfectionist and gets frustrated about not always spelling words correctly and not getting the thoughts down exactly as he wants them the first time through.
Well, for the DARE program each student writes an essay about something they have learned during the course. The teacher and the police officer then select one essay from each class to be read out loud during graduation. James' essay was the one selected for his class. I'm so proud that he has found that success with writing that has eluded him for so long. I was equally proud of his ability to stand up in front of all his peers (and their parents!) to read the essay out loud. He didn't stumble over the words and read at a good pace, no nervousness to be detected.
I would have typed his essay here for everyone to read, but in true boy fashion, the paper ended up getting ripped in half, covered in dirt, and subsequently in the garbage. But I can tell you it focused on tobacco, alcohol and meth, and how hard it has been for him to see the impact of these substances on members of his family.
Good job James!


No comments:
Post a Comment