Oct 19, 2008

Arches and Moab (day 3) and the Way Back Home

Saturday was our last day in Arches. Kai missed a couple of the sites the day before because he wasn't feeling too well, so we went back to the Windows Section and the Double Arch for him.

James and Kai up high in the windows section (they look so small!)

My friend Terrie told me highway 31 through the mountains was absolutely beautiful this time of year, so we decided to take the slightly longer trip home that way. We took 70 through the San Rafael Swell (gorgeous!) to highway 10, then followed Highway 10 up to Huntington. Highway 10. What can I say? I feel so sorry for the people in Emery, Ferron and Castledale. Highway 10 must be the most un-beautiful (is there such a word?) stretch of road in the entire state. How is it this part of the state can be surrounded by so much wonderful sites and not be wonderful itself? Giant mystery I'm thinking.

Thankfully, Highway 10 to where it meets Highway 31 is fairly short. Once we arrived in Huntinington we stopped for a few moments at the cemetery to look at the Crandal Canyon Mine Monument there. It had a beautiful inscription and the detail to the faces of each miner and rescuer were amazing. There is a bigger monument up the Crandal Canyon itself, but daylight was running short (and Isa and I didn't really know which canyon it was), so we didn't make a second stop.


Our last stop on our UEA vacation adventure was at the top of the mountain. In April ,James and his grandma went to the Dinosaur museum in Price while I attended a work meeting and he learned a well preserved Mammoth was found in Utah in 1988. Where in Utah? Right off of Highway 31! We took the quick walk down the short trail to read about this amazing discovery. Isa and I figured this must have been quite the media event when it happened and wondered why we didn't remember it.

5 Days? That's all? Wow.

3 comments:

Beck said...

ok after seeing all 3 days, I miss Utah! I forgot how beautiful Southern utah is! I'm glad you had fun and as dumb as this sounds, it was funny to hear "UEA" again... I haven't heard that forever!!! lol

marcie said...

Gorgeous pictures! Looks like you all had a great time. I'm so with you on NOT letting infants "cry it out" when you're camping sardine style . . . or even in a hotel. Hope you got some sleep :) Marcie

ivy said...

Oh, we got some sleep. Eventually. Of course, after EVERYONE was awake I didn't refrain myself from making some louder-than-I-probably-should comments to Boni (funny talking from tent to tent) about how some people could utilize their car in situations like these...