Sep 28, 2008

Scooters and Insta Care

The joys of having a boy!

On Thursday James was riding his scooter with his friends, raced down a driveway a wee bit too fast, made a slightly too-sharp turn, ran the front wheel off the driveway/sidewalk into the crack along the grass, stopped suddenly and went over the handlebars. That's when the phone rang (see, I knew there was more than one reason to go ahead and get him a cell phone!). He hurt his foot and couldn't walk, so off I go in the car to pick him up. (At least he was wearing a helmet!)

I looked at the foot, didn't appear to be too bad, so I packed him home, plopped him on the couch and we iced his foot for awhile. The next morning it was a bit stiff, but ok, so he went to school with it wrapped in an ace-bandage. All's good, right?

On Saturday morning he attempted to play one full quarter of soccer and did so-so, he kinda hopped-ran his way through the game. Next stop, hockey. So, I called one of his coaches who also happens to be an athletic trainer and asked him if he would take a look at it and wrap it before he attempted to take the ice. No ice! His coach felt there was a slight chance he had a small fracture in one of the bones and that we should go and get an x-ray. Ok, next stop, Insta Care.

Why do they call it INSTA care? After a full hour there I was having hard time finding the "Insta" in the care. But, the physician was nice (I actually did feel kinda bad for him, the only doc in the place dealing with fevers, gashes in heads and suspected foot fractures), and thankfully, no fracture. Just keep off the foot for awhile and take it easy. The best part was James asked the radiology tech if he could have a copy of his xrays, and she said yes. Below is my attempt at taking a photo of the xrays when propped up against my not-so-clean-window. James was amazed at how long his toes really were!

2 comments:

marcie said...

Yikes - I am not looking forward to the many instacare visits we will have in our future. Glad James is okay. Not too many kids can say they have an xray of their foot.

mom said...

Ouch. Glad it's not broken. What a busy guy! The blog design looks great.